Swelling, bleeding gums, toothaches, plaque build-up, and bad breath are very common in people with receding gums and sensitive teeth. In order to get rid of these, we have come up with a list of the best electric toothbrush for receding gums and sensitive teeth, this will help you keep your oral health in check and prevent your teeth from tooth damage.
- 1. Oral-B Genius X Luxe Edition with Artificial Intelligence Rose Gold Electric Toothbrush, Gum Pressure Sensor
- 2. Philips Sonicare Protective Clean 5100 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush
- 3. Waterpik Complete Care 9.5 Oscillating Electric Toothbrush + Water Flosser, for receding gums
- 4. Philips Sonicare 3 Series gum health rechargeable electric toothbrush, HX6631
- 5. Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 4300 Electric Toothbrush for sensitive teeth HX6800/0
- 6. Oral-B 7000 SmartSeries Rechargeable Power Electric Toothbrush with 3 Replacement Brush Heads, Bluetooth Connectivity
- 7. Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Smart 9300 Electric Rechargeable Power Toothbrush
- Frequently Asked Questions
1. Oral-B Genius X Luxe Edition with Artificial Intelligence Rose Gold Electric Toothbrush, Gum Pressure Sensor
If you miss out on different areas in the mouth while brushing your teeth then this smart toothbrush will guide and will allow you to reach the areas that you missed out. The Oral-B genius is the most technologically advanced electric toothbrush, equipped with artificial intelligence. While brushing your teeth, if you start missing spots in your mouth, that’s when the plaque starts depositing and all the gross things like bleeding gums, weak and yellow teeth, and fouls smell arise too. To maintain the sparkly white teeth, this toothbrush will help you, so that you don’t ever miss a spot.
- Artificial Intelligence: It tracks the areas that you are brushing and locates the areas that you’re missing out. The Oral-B app even provides feedback when you are done brushing teeth.
- Brushing score: The brushing score provides you all the data about long you brushed and how hard you pressed.
- Plaque removal: It removes up to 100% of the plaque from your teeth.
- Protects your gums
- Alerts you when you brush too hard
- Rechargeable battery
- Comes with a travel case
- Six cleaning modes
- It is quite expensive
2. Philips Sonicare Protective Clean 5100 Electric Rechargeable Toothbrush
The second-best electric toothbrush is the Philips Sonicare protective clean 5100, you will be surprised to witness its features and awesome performance. It focuses upon three things, first, it cleans your teeth, then it whitens them and lastly, it also takes care of the gums. You will not be spending time overbrushing your teeth because this electric toothbrush will protect your teeth from excess brushing pressure. We highly recommend this toothbrush for its modernity and high performance.
- Pressure sensor: It maintains your gum health by ensuring a balanced brushing pressure.
- Brush sync replacement reminder: It reminds you when to replace the brush head.
- Quad pacer and smart time: The smart time makes sure that you brush your teeth for the recommended two minutes and the quad pacer makes sure that your brush evenly in each quadrant of the mouth.
- Battery charge indicator light
- Decent battery life
- Comes with a travel case and optimal gum care brush head
- Help timers
- Brushsync replacement reminder
- The vibration may be too strong for some people
3. Waterpik Complete Care 9.5 Oscillating Electric Toothbrush + Water Flosser, for receding gums
Your search for a compact electric toothbrush and a flosser comes to an end because this Waterpik complete care is the electric toothbrush that has all the amazing features that will fulfill your need. It comes with three different settings including high, low and massage which you can adjust according to the need. We recommend this electric toothbrush because it allows you to say goodbye to all the plaque and debris. Welcome, a bright smile with this toothbrush.
- Magnetic cradle: The magnetic cradle is responsible for holding the water flosser and hose toothbrush charges on the built-in dock.
- Power button: The power button allows you to start the water flow and then you can adjust the pressure accordingly.
- Water flosser: The water flosser allows you to reach all the corners of your mouth.
- Includes 2-minute timer with a 30-second pacer and recharge indicator
- Three modes including clean, whiten and massage
- Advanced pressure control
- Soft bristles
- If the toothbrush overcharges then it might die
4. Philips Sonicare 3 Series gum health rechargeable electric toothbrush, HX6631
Travel-friendly and easy to use electric toothbrush is all that we want, so this Philips Sonicare 3 series gum health is compact and soft, just what a perfect toothbrush needs to be. It cleans all the plaque and debris out of your mouth but it also maintains the gum health. When the gum health deteriorates, gum bleeding and pain, all come with it. The Sonicare helps you prevent that by maintaining the health of your gums.
- Intensity settings: This electric toothbrush allows you to adjust the intensity for comfortable brushing.
- Battery charge indicator: The battery charge indicator alerts you whenever you need to recharge.
- ProResults gum health brush head: The brush head ensures cleaning along the gumline.
- Smartimer and quad pacer: The smartimer encourages you to brush your teeth for two minutes and the quad pacer beeps every 30 seconds to make sure that you brush every quadrant in your mouth.
- Delivers 31,000 brush strokes per minute
- Removes up to 6X plaque
- 3 weeks of battery life
- Comes with a travel case
- The brush head is too small
5. Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 4300 Electric Toothbrush for sensitive teeth HX6800/0
If you tired of plaque depositing in your teeth and you desire of sparkling white teeth then you should give this electric toothbrush a good look. It removes all the plaque and gives you a perfect smile. The Philips Sonicare is available in different colors so you can get your favorite color as well. Also, if your brush your teeth too hard, the pressure sensor alerts you. It also comes with a travel case so you can easily carry it anywhere you want.
- Pressure sensor: If you ever brush too hard, the pressure sensor alerts you that you are brushing too hard.
- Brush head replacement: Whenever the brush head loses its strength, the electric toothbrush alerts you that the brush head replacement.
- Setting modes: The settings can be adjusted to different intensities according to your personal preference.
- Travel case: It comes with a hard travel case with which you can travel with it easily. The travel case keeps the toothbrush protected.
- It is safe and gentle to use
- Maintains the health of the gums
- Comes with a smart head replacement
- 2 weeks of battery life
- The heads of this toothbrush are expensive
6. Oral-B 7000 SmartSeries Rechargeable Power Electric Toothbrush with 3 Replacement Brush Heads, Bluetooth Connectivity
If you have sensitive teeth or bleeding gums then you should give this toothbrush a try because it is quite gentle yet very good at what it does. The precise bristles made with silicone are able to get rid of every little bit of plaque from the mouth. it allows you to personalize your brushing as it comes with 6 modes, so if you have sensitive teeth or gums then this is perfect for you. It is technologically smart so you can keep track of the brushing as well. We highly recommend this toothbrush because of its smart features and how it aims at keeping the teeth healthy.
- Oral-B app: The Oral-B app allows you to track your brushing, you can find out how long you brushed your teeth.
- Pressure sensor: The visible pressure sensor helps in protecting the gums.
- Premium travel case: You can carry the toothbrush around in the premium travel case.
- Real-time brushing feedback: It guides you according to your need and you brush according to the instructions.
- Gives helpful oral care tips
- Made with high tech materials such as silicon
- Removes 100% plaque
7. Philips Sonicare DiamondClean Smart 9300 Electric Rechargeable Power Toothbrush
If you prefer simple electric toothbrush which work tremendously and are easy to operate then give this toothbrush a chance. Also, if you are suffering from bleeding gums then this toothbrush will help stop bleeding within two weeks. It comes with a contoured brush which is designed to reduce the plaque deposits in your mouth and to keep the oral hygiene in check. we highly recommend this electric toothbrush for its outstanding cleanliness and efficiency.
- 5 modes: It comes with five different modes including a gum care mode which will help you get the most comfortable toothbrushing experience.
- Proresults standard contoured brush: This brush makes sure that the plaque is completely removed and there are no bacteria building up in the mouth.
- Patented sonic technology: the patented sonic technology delivers up to 31,000 strokes per minute.
- Whitening teeth: It whitens teeth in two weeks, your teeth will be two shades lighter.
- Comes with a hard travel case
- Ensures complete gum care
- Easy to operate and easy to charge
- It doesn’t have pressure control alerts
Treating sensitive & receding gums
Receding gums is a condition where the gum tissue is pushed back and exposes more of the teeth or their roots. Since there are gaps, it is likely that the plaque will be deposited on to the tooth causing it damage. In worse case scenarios, tooth loss can also take place. In order to keep the oral health in check, it is necessary to follow the following steps. These steps will prevent your teeth from getting damaged.
Brush your teeth correctly
The first thing that you need to take care of is that you have to brush your teeth correctly. I suggested that the teeth should be brushed for two minutes, so you need to do that and you also have to brush all the quadrants in the mouth. The basic aim of this cleaning is to prevent plaque buildup. If the plaque builds up, it will start causing damage to the teeth. Make sure that you don’t brush too hard or otherwise it will cause gum damage.
Visit the dentist on a regular basis
Receding gums can eventually lead to other oral diseases if it is not treated rightly. So, make sure that you make regular visits to the dentist so that he came to keep a check on your teeth.
How to manage sensitive gums?
Sensitive gums can be painful, swollen and they can even bleed. Bad breath is also accompanied by pain and swelling. To manage sensitive gums, you need to follow the steps:
a) Improving oral hygiene
Make sure that you brush your teeth every day and get rid of all the plaque while you are brushing teeth.
b) Incorporating antiseptic mouthwash into a routine
The antiseptic mouthwashes are amazing for sensitive gums because they kill all the bacteria in the mouth while providing relief to the gums.
c) Taking Vitamin C rich diet
If there is a vitamin C deficiency, it is quite possible that you will feel sensitive gums. So, make sure that you add Vitamin C into your diet or you can take Vitamin C supplements to overcome sensitive gums.
d) Quitting smoking
The tobacco and nicotine damage your mouth along with your lungs so you can have sensitivity because of smoking. Make sure that you quit smoking so that the sensitivity goes away as well.
e) Brush teeth after having meals
Sometimes after having meals, the food gets stuck to our teeth leading to a buildup of bacteria. So, try to brush your teeth slowly every time you are done eating. This will help you prevent sensitivity.
What causes sensitivity?
Sensitivity is the weakening of the gum tissues, due to this they become painful and swollen. The following are the reasons for sensitivity.
Brushing your teeth too much with more pressure than needed causes sensitivity.
b) Poor oral care
Not brushing teeth properly causes plaque deposition and builds up bacteria which leads to sensitivity.
c) Too much flossing
Flossing too much with too much pressure causes sensitivity. In the following blog, you will find the best water flossers.
d) Smoke cigarettes
The tobacco is responsible for sensitivity too because it not only damages the lungs but it also damages the mouth.
Why the electric toothbrush is the best choice for gum receding?
The electric toothbrush is the best choice for receding gums for the following reasons:
a) Removes More Plaque
Unlike a manual brush, the electric toothbrush has the ability to remove up to 100% of the plaque buildup leaving behind a completely clean mouth.
b) Don’t Brush too aggressive
Manual brushes don’t have pressure controls so you put more pressure than what is needed while electric brushes come with pressure controls, they make sure that gentle pressure is applied while brushing teeth.
c) Timers and Pacers
The electric toothbrushes have timers and pacers which make sure that you brush your teeth for two minutes and that you brush all four quadrants of your mouth so you don’t miss out on any spots.
d) Intensity settings
The electric toothbrushes come with intensity settings so you are able to adjust the setting of the toothbrush to different modes according to your need. The first is the cleaning mode, second is the whitening mode, third is the massage mode or gum protection mode. Some toothbrushes may have more than three modes.
Frequently Asked Questions
We know there are a thousand questions roaming in your mind after absorbing all this information about best electronic toothbrush for receding gums, so in this section, we have tried to combine them and answer them in the best possible way to remove all the confusion your brain may have. Read it all carefully and do not forget to visit your dentist for more clarification.
Q: Can receding gums grow back?
Ans: When you brush your teeth very hard with a manual toothbrush, the edge of gum tissue called gingival mucosa pulls away from the tooth, leaving the space blank and white. This can make your tooth look larger than before and may affect your confidence while smiling.
It is impossible for the gums to grow back and there are no surgeries or medicines which can make them grow again. Some people believe that they regrow by some natural remedies, for example, drinking green trees and suing aloe, but these also just help in improving your overall oral hygiene.
However, by flossing, using an electronic toothbrush and soft-bristled toothbrush you can prevent them from worsening.
Q: Are electronic toothbrushes safe for receding gums?
Ans: Yes! Electronic toothbrushes are much safer for receding gums than manual toothbrushes. This is because of several reasons.
Firstly, electronic toothbrushes have soft bristles that do not hurt the gums when you brush.
Secondly, some electronic toothbrushes have built-in sensors which tell you how hard you pressed on the brush while cleaning your gums on an app. This helps to reduce the pressure applied on the toothbrush the next time you brush if it was high the first time.
This all reduces the risks of a further worsening of your gums and guides you to achieve better dental health.
Q: Can Waterpik help receding gums?
Ans: Waterpik Water flosser in the number one recommendation of dentists to improve your gum health. It removes plaque as well. It has a magnetic cradle that holds the water flosser and toothbrush. So, the tension of holding everything and thinking of where to place all the items is removed. Its water flosser allows you to reach all corners of your mouth and clean it easily and efficiently, without taking much time. It comes with three settings of low, high and massage, you can easily select whatever setting is the most suitable for your gums and prevent your gums from receding.
Q: How do you brush receding gums?
Ans: When your gums are receding, you need to be very careful while brushing them. You are recommended to make the use of a soft-bristled toothbrush as hard-bristled toothbrushes may worsen the damage. While brushing your teeth, do not apply pressure on your toothbrush, be gentle and let the bristles do all the work. Brush at least two times a day, each time keep brushing for a minimum of two minutes.
Q: How to brush your teeth with electronic toothbrushes?
Ans: Electronic toothbrushes are quite simple and easy to use. Below are the steps which you can follow for complete guidance.
- Take your toothbrush out and look at the charging indications it is giving in the form of lights. Make sure it is fully charged. You do not want your toothbrush to stop working in the middle of brushing your teeth and gums.
- Wash your mouth with water in a way that reaches all corners of your mouth.
- Start with the outer surface of your teeth.
- Stay on each tooth for a few seconds, then move onto the next.
- Guide the brush slowly towards each tooth following the shape of the tooth and the gumline.
- After doing this to the outer surface of all teeth, repeat the same on the inner surface, very slowly, gently and carefully.
- Now repeat this step on the parts of the teeth which you use to chew the food.
- Direct the electronic toothbrush towards your gum line and smoothly and gently brush on it. Please be careful while doing this. Do not apply pressure as gums are quite sensitive and you can injure yourself any moment. They will start to bleed instantly.
- After this, you can guide the toothbrush towards your tongue and upper part of your mouth to remove bacteria and food particles from there and give you a fresh breath.
- When done brushing, switch it off and put your electronic toothbrush at a safe place, away from water, preferably in a box or case.
If you have any confusion about the process, you must go to your dentist and request them to perform this procedure in front of you so you can do it at home safely and teach it to your children.
Q: What is the treatment for severely receded gums?
Ans: Severely receded gums can only be treated by professionals; you cannot treat them at home by any remedy. Three ways to treat severe receding gums are:
- Scaling and Root Planing
In this process, the dentist will remove tartar and plaque from the roots of your teeth and below the gum line where your toothbrush can not reach.
- Gum Graft Surgery (GGS)
In this process, your dentist will take a part of gum from somewhere else in the mouth and use it to cover the white space left by a receded gum on your tooth.
- Pinhole Surgical Technique (PST)
The dentist will make a tiny hole in the gum root above the tooth and adjust its position to perfection.
We tried to help you by giving all the information we could. I hope all your queries are clear after reading all the FAQs.
We advise that you always seek the professional advice of your dentist or healthcare expert as he/she can examine and are aware of the conditions of your mouth and can give you the best possible solution available to your problem. Gum tissues can not grow back but there are many ways to stop them from disappearing further. It happens to a lot of people, do not feel demotivated about it. Your smile may be affected, but it is your smile, so it is perfect and unique whatever way it is.
This article aimed at giving the readers an insight into the electric toothbrushes, we hope that it will help you pick out one of the best while keeping your need and budget in view.