Dental Care is one of the most important aspects of life. As the doctors say, every disease begins with your mouth. If your mouth is not clean, the food going inside will take all the germs along with it. These bacteria can make its way to your stomach and respiratory organs and cause infections inside your body which may lead to serious diseases. Therefore, you need the best mouthwash for gums to keep your teeth and gums healthy.
Apart from brushing and flossing your teeth and scrapping your tongue, to ensure their perfect health, you can use a mouthwash as well. It is a liquid made up of ingredients extremely beneficial for your oral hygiene. It removes bad breath, saves your teeth from tooth decay and saves your gums from the danger of periodontal diseases like Gingivitis. Moreover, it prevents bacteria to form colonies in the parts of your mouth as it can easily reach the inaccessible parts and maintain your oral health. It makes your teeth cleaner and whiter, removing plaque and tartar.
All medical content on this site, including this guide and other product reviews, is written by our team of experienced writers and researchers. All writers from The Toothbrush Expert are recommended and reviewed in the industry. You support us through our editorially chosen links, which earn us commission. Learn moreAll of our picks have the American Dental Association (ADA) Seal of Acceptance.
Quick Overview (comparison)
Top 10 Best Mouthwash for Gums of 2022
Here we have reviewed the ten best mouthwash for your teeth gums to make your search for the perfect mouthwash easier for you. We have listed the features, pros, and cons of each mouthwash, just scroll through them to become fully aware of the best choices you have!
1 – Listerine Ultraclean Mouthwash, Best mouthwash for Gums (Best Pick 🥇)
This ADA approved mouthwash has made it to the top of our list because of its ingredient list and non-alcoholic nature. It is extremely smooth in its functions and contains a lot of product at a very minimal price.
Pack of 2
- Cool Mint Flavor
- 500 ml in a bottle
- Tartar controlled ingredients
- Includes menthol, thymol, eucalyptol, and methyl salicylate
- 3 times longer lasting clean feeling
- American Dental Association approved
- Low Price- best budget
- Listerine fights tartar buildup in your mouth and cleans 99.9% of the bacteria colonies.
- Maintains healthy gums and provides fresh, minty breath to the user.
- Best for protection from Gingivitis.
- If you are buying this for your kids, they might not like the flavor as mint flavors are usually bitter.
- There is a burning and stinging sensation while using it.
2. ClosSYS Ultra-Sensitive Mouthwash (Premium Pick 🥈)
ClosSYS is in the list of top ten best types of mouthwash for gums because of its teeth-friendly nature. You can surely buy it for kids or your parents older in age who have sensitive gums and teeth. To make sure you have a complete treatment use the best toothpaste for receding gums.
- 32ounce product in a bottle
- Gentle Mint Flavored
- Dye Free
- Triclosan Free
- pH Balanced
- ADA seal of acceptance
- Best Sensitive
- Its mint flavor eliminates bad breath from your mouth.
- ClosSYS soothes mouth sensitivity and kills germs that cause bad breath.
- It is the best choice for sensitive teeth as it doesn’t hurt them when you use it.
- It removes plaque and oxidizes volatile sulfur compounds.
- Its pH balanced to reduce the acidic levels of your mouth.
- A little expensive.
3 – Uncle Harry’s Miracle Mouthwash for Gums (Eco-friendly Pick 🥉)
Uncle Harry’s Natural Alkalizing Miracle Mouthwash made its way to our list because of its perfect ingredient list and numerous traits including its protection of sensitive gums and teeth-friendly nature.
- Natural ingredients like micro-filtered water, calcium carbonate, sea salt, mustard seed, and essential oils
- Carrageenan free
- Triclosan free
- Calcium, magnesium, phosphorus included
- Uncle Harry’s mint mouthwash removes the bad odor from your mouth and balances the pH of your mouth.
- It reduces swelling of your gums and whitens your teeth.
- It eliminates bacteria and makes your teeth plaque-free.
- The price is comparatively higher than its competitors.
4 – Crest Pro-Health Multiprotection Rinse-Clean
Our list of top ten best mouthwash for gums includes Crest Pro because of its positive ratings from a number of consumers and its alcohol-free nature which has proven to be useful for a lot of people as it doesn’t give them a dry mouth.
- 50ounce of mouthwash in a bottle
- Best Alcohol-Free Mouthwash
- Active ingredient: Cetylpyrindinum Chloride (CPC)
- Due to the absence of alcohol in it, the mouth of the user doesn’t dry.
- Crest’s active ingredient is effective against bad breath, tooth decay, and gum diseases.
- It is specifically formulated for optimal gum health.
- Instantly gives you fresh breath.
- Crest Pro might stain your teeth temporarily. The stains can be cleaned by regular brushing.
- CPC’s taste is not liked by all users.
- Higher price.
5 – Oxyfresh Lemon Mint Mouthwash
Its one of the best mouthwashes for gums because of its safe to use ingredient list and the promise that it will protect the mouth from bacteria all day. It is clinically proven to be good at its function and alcohol-free which makes it safe for sensitive teeth.
- Clinically Proven
- Protects all-day
- Includes Oxygene and Zinc Acetate
- pH balanced
- Xylitol included
- Contains Aloe
- 16 Fl Oz in a pack
- Its ingredients remove plaque and prevent tartar formation.
- The taste of Oxyfresh gives you fresh breath, eliminating the bad odor from your mouth quickly.
- No alcohol so doesn’t hurt your teeth and give you a burning sensation. Also, there are no artificial dyes added in it, so it doesn’t stain your teeth and gums.
- It helps you to smile more confidently and brightly.
- It is a little expensive when compared with its competitors who are offering the same services at less price.
6 – TheraBreath Oral Rinse Mouthwash for Gums
TheraBreath made it to our list of ten best mouthwash for gums because it comes in a family pack. You can easily order one pack and your whole family can use it including the kids as it doesn’t hurt or sting.
Pack of 2
- 3 Fl Oz in a pack of 6
- 16 Fl Oz in a pack of 2
- Trusted Quality
- TheraBreath’s mouthwash helps to address the problems of halitosis, cavity prevention, and gum diseases.
- It targets sulfur-producing bacteria and helps you improve your oral care by killing bacteria.
- When used, it doesn’t burn or sting your tongue and gums.
- Not as good as its competitors.
7 – Colgate Peroxyl Mouth Score Rinse
Included in our list, Colgate peroxyl is the best mouthwash to great minor gum wounds and provide you with fresh, minty breath to help you gain more confidence and improve your oral health. Soothes minor gum inflammation from dental procedures, orthodontic appliances and dentures. Mouth rinse cleans and promotes healing of small oral wounds.
- 500mL of product in one bottle
- Low Price
- Heals and cleanses minor oral wounds
- Mild Mint
- Active ingredient – hydrogen peroxide
- Inactive ingredients – water, sorbitol, propylene glycol, poloxamer 338, polysorbate 20
- Antiseptic mouthwash
- By using it regularly you will be able to treat mouth burns and irritations easily.
- It can also treat minor gum inflammations.
- Peroxyl’s oxygenating action removes oral debris to facilitate healing.
- Hydrogen peroxide is used to clean your oral wounds.
- Ideal for users with a sensitive mouth.
- Kids might not like the mint flavor and require prior permission from a dentist to use this mouthwash.
8 – ACT Restoring Anticavity Mouthwash
One of the best mouthwashes for gums, ACT made it to our list due to its great taste and remineralizing of soft spots of the user’s mouth. It has fluoride in it which helps it prevent your teeth against cavities.
- 18 Fl Oz of the product in a pack
- Mint burst
- Includes Fluoride
- Best for adults trying to restore their damaged teeth.
- It remineralizes soft spots of your mouth.
- ACT strengthens tooth enamel and prevents tooth decay.
- It freshens your mouth odor leaving it to feel cool and minty.
- It can be bought for kids as it tastes great.
- This mouthwash is a bit expensive than its competitors in the market.
9 – Tom’s of Maine Natural Wicked Fresh! Mouthwash
Tom’s of Maine Mouthwash is considered to be the best mouthwash for your gums because of teeth-friendly nature and peppermint taste which is loved by a lot of people. The fact that it uses its profits for the betterment of the world also leads its customers to buy more of it.
- 16 ounce of mouthwash in a bottle
- Peppermint wave
- No artificial flavors or fragrance
- 10 percent of profits spent on human and environmental goodness
- SLS free
- This mouthwash helps to stop your bad breath without hurting your gums and teeth.
- It consists of natural oils that help the user to make their mouth feel fresh and get rid of all the germs in it.
- It has to be with precaution as it might be bad for your health if you swallow it.
- Peppermint flavor is not liked by everyone.
10 – Crest Scope Outlast Mouthwash for Gums
Crest Scope made it to our list of top ten best types of mouthwash for gums because of its abilities to remove the bad odor of your mouth and refresh it for a very long period of time. You can trust its peppermint flavor to do its job perfectly. The best toothpaste for receding gums you need use before flushing your mouth.
- Peppermint flavor
- 1 liter of product in one bottle
- Made in the USA
- It keeps your breath fresh for a longer period of time than its competitors.
- It creates a cool, refreshing sensation.
- It kills 99.9% of germs in your mouth which causes bad breath.
- Alcohol is added to this mouthwash.
- Peppermint flavor is not liked by everyone.
Now that we are done with the reviews of the top ten best types of mouthwash for your gums, we will further help you select the correct one for yourself and your family. Scroll down to find a buyer’s guide which enlists and explains all the important qualities you must consider before buying a mouthwash.
Where to pay attention while buying a mouthwash for gums?
We made a shortlist for you to make a proper decision.
Price per ounce
You have to consider your budget before buying a mouthwash. It can easily be done by comparing the price per ounce of each mouthwash brand. The overall price may be less due to less product in the bottle, you never know. Thus, knowing the number of ounces is important. Additionally, if you are buying it for your family and have to buy more bottles of mouthwash, you might get a bulk discount. In the following graph you will see the price history of Listerine Mouthwash last couple of years.
Amazon Basics Antiseptic Mouthwash
You can always go for a cheap variant of a mouthwash. The Amazon brand is a good product for a cheap price, it doesn’t have all the marketing cost like Listerine or Colgate.
Seal of Acceptance from ADA
ADA acceptance seal means that the mouthwash has been tested and approved for use. There are no side-effects or threats of using it unless you are already suffering from any gum disease. Take a recommendation from your dentist in that case.
Eliminates Bad Breath
If you suffer from the problem of constant bad breath, you must find yourself a mouthwash best suited for the elimination of bad breath. Using a mouthwash with a mint or peppermint flavor will refresh your mouth odor and make you more confident than before for the meeting.
Many people have a dry mouth sometimes, it could be because of a side effect of a medicine or any disease. To keep the temperature of your mouth normal, you must use a mouthwash best suitable for this problem.
Gum problems and Plaque
If you have periodontal diseases, plaque buildup on your teeth and other minor issues such as small burns or wounds, they can be easily dealt with the right mouthwash choice. You must purchase the one which specifically states that it deals with the problem you are facing.
The perfect ingredients list
While purchasing any product, you must check out its ingredients list and see if it contains any harmful chemical or the specific mineral or chemical you need in the product. The same goes while purchasing the best mouthwash for your gums. To deal with oral issues, the presence of certain minerals and chemicals is necessary.
We have prepared a list of ingredients and explained their functions to enlighten you further about the perfect ingredients list.
It helps the mouthwash to be effective against tooth decay and to strengthen enamel. You can eat all the cakes and sweets you have dreaming of if your mouthwash has fluoride in it.
The presence of essential compounds present in oils is necessary for mouthwash to have antibacterial and antifungal properties and effects. These compounds are usually menthol or peppermint, thymol or thyme, and eucalyptus.
It works against the bad breath and eliminates bacteria from your mouth.
The presence of this chemical helps the mouthwash to control gingivitis and reduce plaque, which is the yellow buildup on the front of your teeth.
Carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide
It helps the mouthwash to whiten your teeth and make them look brighter than before.
How to use a mouthwash for gums
Time needed: 3 minutes
How to use a mouthwash?
Mouthwashes are pretty easy to use. There are always directions written on the product. The directions may vary from product to product. If they are not, follow the steps below to clear any confusion you have regarding their use.
- Step 1
Brush your teeth properly.
- Step 2
Floss your teeth efficiently.
- Step 3
If your toothpaste has fluoride in it, please wait a little while before using the mouthwash so that fluoride can perform its functions.
- Step 4
Take the mouthwash and the plastic cup out of the box.
- Step 5
Put the mouthwash into the cup. The measurements are stated on the product. It is usually three to five teaspoons of mouthwash.
- Step 6
Take the cup to your mouth and take the liquid in. Don’t drink it.
- Step 7
Just squish it around your mouth so that it reaches all parts of your mouth. Be careful while doing so as it can go down the down.
- Step 8
Gargle for thirty seconds minimum or till a minute. Note the time on a clock or a stopwatch or just count it in your head.
- Step 9
After gargling, throw the liquid out. Do not swallow it.
You are done with your mouthwash, now put the cup and the bottle back into their box and place it at a safe place to use it the next time you brush and floss. Remember that mouthwash is always to be used after your teeth are freshly cleaned.
If there is still some confusion in the process, please ask your dentist to perform it for you. It will clear all your confusions and make you more confident while washing your mouth.
Done reading our buying guide and still got questions? Don’t worry, we have the answers to them all. To clear your confusion, scroll down and read the FAQ section of our blog.
Frequently Asked Questions on Mouthwash for Gums
Many companies have been producing mouthwashes that are capable of solving some diseases at their initial stage. There is a list of mouthwashes that fight against gingivitis and minor wounds, infections, and burns related to your gums. Mouthwashes can not be used alone to get rid of gum diseases at a higher stage.
Yes, dentists do recommend mouthwashes which can help you to clean bacteria, remove bad breath and establish a proper, effective care routine. They recommend mouthwashes with effective minerals and oil to deal with your gum diseases at an initial stage. They do not recommend mouthwashes which include Alcohol as it dissolves the mucus layer and makes the teeth vulnerable. It can cause great sensitivity.
According to reviews of the customers, the promises the company makes and the list of the ingredients in it, Crest Scope Outlast Mouthwash is the best mouthwash for bad breath. It kills the bacteria from all parts of your mouth which causes bad breath and refreshes the odor of your mouth.
Yes. Mouthwashes are supposed to be a part of your oral care routine to improve your dental hygiene and maintain the perfect structure of your mouth. They are used after you brush and floss your teeth to refresh your breath and to remove bacteria from the parts of your mouth where the toothbrush or floss did not reach.
No. You are strongly advised to not rinse your mouth after a mouthwash because mouthwashes include fluoride in them which sticks to the teeth and takes time to perform its function fully and effectively. If you rinse your mouth, fluoride will be rinsed as well and the purpose of mouthwash may die. You can rinse your mouth after thirty minutes though.
Conclusively, mouthwash can be used to stop bad breath and to heal some minor wounds. It cannot cure serious gum issues. But it cannot be used alone, it has to be used with regular brushing and flossing for effective and quick results. So, brush your teeth with the best electric toothbrush for receding gums. It is important to check if a mouthwash has the ADA seal of acceptance or not.
We hope that our blog cleared all your queries regarding the best mouthwash for gums and helped you to make a final choice for yourself. If you need the best toothbrush for receding gums you can find a review and buying guide on this website.
Do not forget to visit your dentist before using the mouthwash or even purchasing it as they will tell you which one to buy after looking at your present mouth condition. There could be sores in your mouth that could be hurt by a mouthwash that has alcohol in it and might lead to some serious burning sensation.
We wish you luck in preparing the best oral care routine for you and your family.
Dr Michael Jones is the proud founder of The Toothbrush Expert. He has been working as a dentist for 21 years now. Besides his work as a dentist, Michael wants to help people to find the right dental products. His goal is to provide everyone with honest expert reviews on all kinds of dental care products.