To ensure good dental health and hygiene, while you have braces. We have prepared a list of the best toothbrush for braces by doing a lot of research. A very important component of personal hygiene and overall wellbeing of an individual is dental hygiene. Bad breath, plaque buildup, weak gums, and teeth can all be caused due to poor dental hygiene. Especially if you have braces, then taking care of your teeth and dental health is necessary because the food can stick to the braces. It can lead to plaque buildup, yellow teeth and bacteria can also cause damage to tooth and gums.
All medical content on this site, including this guide and other product reviews, is written by our team of experienced writers and researchers. All writers from The Toothbrush Expert are recommended and reviewed in the industry. You support us through our editorially chosen links, which earn us commission. Learn moreAll of our picks have the American Dental Association (ADA) Seal of Acceptance.
- Quick Overview
- Top 10 Best toothbrush for braces
- 1 – Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 5100 Rechargeable Toothbrush, White HX6857/11
- 2 – Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 4100 Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush, White HX6817/01
- 3 – Sonic Electric Toothbrush Rechargeable, Pink by Fairywill
- 4 – Sky Orthodontic Toothbrushes V Trim Cleaning for Braces Wires Brackets
- 5 – Oral-B 7000 SmartSeries Rechargeable Toothbrush for braces, Travel Case
- 6 – Oral-B Black Pro 1000 Power Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush, by Braun
- 7 – Oral-B Pro 5000 Smart series for braces, White Edition
- 8 – Oral-B Sensitive Gum Care Electric Toothbrush Replacement Brush Heads
- 9 – Triple Bristle Best Sonic Electric Toothbrush
- 10 – Curaprox Swiss 1006 Special Toothbrush for Implants and Braces Assorted Colors
- Buying Considerations
- Frequently Asked Questions on Toothbrush for Braces
Just in case you want to skip the long and detailed review of what is the best toothbrush for braces in each category, here it is:
- Best electric toothbrush for braces – Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 5100
- Best toothbrush for braces – Sky Orthodontic Toothbrushes V Trim
- Best electric toothbrush for kids – Fairywill Sonic Electric Toothbrush Rechargeable
- Premium toothbrush for braces – Oral-B 7000 SmartSeries Rechargeable Toothbrush
- Best brush heads for braces – Oral-B Sensitive Gum Care replacement Heads
- Best triple bristle electric toothbrush – Triple Bristle Sonic Electric Toothbrush
- Special toothbrush for braces – Curaprox Swiss 1006 Special Toothbrush for Implants and Braces
Top 10 Best toothbrush for braces
Maintaining good dental health and hygiene, while having braces can be tricky. There is a greater chance that you will not be able to get rid of all the plaque buildup and food particles stuck to the brackets. For that, you need to have a special toothbrush. That can help you get rid of all the food particles that have stuck to your teeth.
This was a short summary of our top 3 products. Here you will find the extended reviews about all the products in our Top 10 of toothbrush for braces.
Without any more delay, let’s get right into the products:
1 – Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 5100 Rechargeable Toothbrush, White HX6857/11
“The Philips Sonicare electric toothbrush is the number one recommended brush by Oral Experts and amazing in a number of ways,” says Herbert Orlansky, DDS, oral health expert and dentist graduate of Columbia University, School of Dentistry in 1975. A manual toothbrush can be harsh on the teeth and gums which is why we suggest this electric toothbrush because it is safe and it is very gentle on the teeth. It will make sure that all the food particles are gotten rid of gently from the teeth and the braces as well.
The distinct thing about this electric toothbrush is that it comes with a pressure alert. Which allows you to get alerts in case you are brushing too hard. This feature helps you in brushing your teeth gently always. It also provides you with a reminder that you need to change the head of the brush. The bristles may become too worn out and that’s when you will get the alert. We highly recommend this toothbrush to people who have braces so that they can take care of their dental hygiene in a proper way.
- A 2-minute smart timer allows you to brush your teeth consistently for two minutes so you will have properly cleaned teeth.
- The three modes including clean, white and gum care make sure that your teeth are clean, white and healthy.
- The brush head replacement reminder gives you alerts so that you can replace the head of the brush on time.
- A pressure sensor prevents you from pressing or brushing too hard while brushing your teeth.
- Product Dimensions: 2.6 x 6.8 x 9.3 inches
- Item Weight: 1 pound
- Comes with a travel case and travel charger
- Not only cleans the teeth but also protects the gums
- Prevents cavities
- Remains gentle on the teeth
- Sonic technology
- If the toothbrush is not used properly by following the instructions, it may end up causing bleeding of the teeth.
2 – Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 4100 Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush, White HX6817/01
The second toothbrush for braces is the Philips Sonicare ProtectiveClean 4100 electric toothbrush. This toothbrush is available in two colors including black and white. As compared to manual toothbrushes, the electric toothbrush is gentle on the teeth yet it has the ability to clean plaque up to seven times.
With this toothbrush, you will never brush your teeth too hard because it gives you alerts with the help of a pressure sensor. Now, you will never use a brush head of your toothbrush too long because this toothbrush even gives you alerts with the brush head replacement reminder. It also has a two-minute timer so that you consistently brush your teeth. If you have braces and you are tired of all the plaque sitting on your teeth. Then we highly recommend this toothbrush for you as it will help you have clean teeth and healthy gums.
- Built-in pressure sensor makes sure that you are not brushing too hard.
- Easy start program allows you to gently increase the speed of brushing when needed.
- Smart timer allows you to consistently brush your teeth for up to two minutes.
- Quad pacer tells you how much time you should spend on each part of the mouth.
- Product Dimensions: 2.6 x 6.8 x 9.8 inches
- Item Weight: 13.6 ounces
- Safe and gentle on the teeth and gums
- Sonic technology
- Cleans each part of the mouth
- Helpful timers
- 2-week battery life
- Slick handle when wet
3 – Sonic Electric Toothbrush Rechargeable, Pink by Fairywill
Next up is the Sonic Electric toothbrush, it is also an electric toothbrush for kids because of its soft bristles. Let’s talk about its appearance before we go deeply into its functioning and performance, it has a super cute pink color. If you have been in search of a colorful toothbrush with amazing performance then this toothbrush is surely the one for you. In comparison to a manual toothbrush, this Sonic electric toothbrush has the ability to get rid of the stains. It also has the ability to reach areas that are hard to reach especially with braces.
It charges quickly and also comes with extra brush heads so you will not have to invest in them anytime soon after buying the brushes. Not only is this toothbrush great for personal use but you can also buy it as a present for someone who has braces. With its super cute appearance, lovely color and high performance, this toothbrush are totally recommended by us.
- This electric toothbrush has five different modes including white, clean, sensitive, polish, massage, charge indicator.
- Four caring brush heads come with the electric toothbrush.
- It has a fantastic battery life, if you charge it once for four hours, you can use it for 30 days.
- The timer helps you clean the teeth and mouth properly.
- Shipping Weight: 14.89 ounces
- Gets rid of maximum food particles
- Prevents cavities
- Ensures the health of the gums
- Lightweight and comfortable to use
- It doesn’t have a pressure sensor
4 – Sky Orthodontic Toothbrushes V Trim Cleaning for Braces Wires Brackets
If you are someone who is not comfortable with an electric toothbrush while having braces. Then we have a manual toothbrush for you. this manual toothbrush by sky orthodontic comes in different colors and has bristles of different softness. Some of these toothbrushes come with soft toothbrush heads while others come with extra soft toothbrush heads. Depending upon your need and likeliness, you can choose the type of bristles that you like and feel comfortable with. These toothbrushes come with caps as well. We highly recommend this toothbrush for people with braces for teeth clean.
- The toothbrushes have bristles made with nylon which is why they are super soft.
- They even come with small heads so that reaching hard to reach areas becomes easier.
- Shipping weight: 2.1 ounces
- Allows effective cleaning around the brackets and the wire
- Gentle on the teeth
- These toothbrushes can be used by adults and children both
- May not get rid of all the plaque like an electric toothbrush
5 – Oral-B 7000 SmartSeries Rechargeable Toothbrush for braces, Travel Case
“I like the Oral B Braun 7000 Smart Series for its visible pressure sensor alerts,” says Dr. Mimi Jeon, a dentist graduated from the University of Pennsylvania. This toothbrush that we have for you all is one of the most popular, it is by Oral-B and it has advanced features. It has smart features which you can get feedback on the brushing time, the brushing pressure and other brushing related information. It even provides oral care tips. If you are someone who doesn’t take care of the dental hygiene then you should try this and you will surely be motivated to get rid of all the food particles and plaque building up in the mouth.
This brush head of this toothbrush is manufactured with silicone which feels super soft to the teeth and gums also, the bristles are perfectly angled so they can reach hard to reach areas in the mouth. This electric toothbrush has different settings and has different modes with which the people can get maximum benefit in taking care of their dental hygiene. You will be surprised at how it effectively cleans your teeth and gets rid of plaque buildup.
- The Oral-B app allows you to track your brushing, you can keep a check of the brushing time and other things.
- It comes with a visible pressure sensor which allows the user to have a better idea of the pressure that they are applying to their teeth.
- The six brushing modes include tongue cleaning, daily cleaning, sensitive, gum care, whitening and lastly, pre-clean.
- It even has Bluetooth connectivity.
- Product Dimensions: 4.7 x 6.6 x 10 inches
- Item Weight: 2.6 pounds
- Comes with a premium travel case
- It has a long-lasting charge
- Provides real-time brushing feedback
- It takes 20 hours or more to charge which is a long time
6 – Oral-B Black Pro 1000 Power Rechargeable Electric Toothbrush, by Braun
A manual toothbrush doesn’t have the ability to break down the plaque that has been build up above the gums but this Oral-B black pro electric toothbrush can get rid of the stubborn plaque as well. It is great for daily clean especially if you have braces because it can get rid of all the buildup in the mouth. So, you never have to face an embarrassing situation with bad breath. This toothbrush not only gives you a clean mouth but also gives you a refreshing feeling.
This specific toothbrush is compatible with various toothbrush heads including CrossAction, 3D White and many others. It also has a pressure sensor so you know when you are applying too much pressure on the teeth. Unlike the Oral-B 7000, this electric toothbrush has only one mode which is great for daily cleaning. Besides that, it has the ability to get rid of plaque up to 300 percent more as compared to a manual toothbrush. It is also amazing for gum care.
- Pressure sensor makes sure that you don’t brush too hard while brushing your teeth.
- The two-minute timer allows you to have a consistent toothbrushing experience with even cleaning.
- Product Dimensions: 4.3 x 2.2 x 10 inches
- Item Weight: 12 ounces
- Help get rid of plaque and gingivitis
- Comes with a dentist inspired round brush head
- Removes stains and ensures teeth whitening
- Water flossing
- It only has one mode of setting
7 – Oral-B Pro 5000 Smart series for braces, White Edition
This is one of the best electric toothbrushes for braces and it is by Oral-B is available in two colors including white and black. Since this toothbrush has Bluetooth connectivity, it keeps a track of your brushing and also gives real-time feedback. People with braces will surely love this toothbrush because of its high-quality bristles and floss action round brush. It has the ability to get rid of the build-up around the brackets and also reaches the hard to reach areas in the mouth. The 3-D cleaning action makes sure that the teeth are cleaned, whitened and even protected against bacteria. If you are someone who is looking for a super handy toothbrush with a floss action round brush then you should definitely get your hands on it.
- Visible pressure sensor aware you about the pressure you are applying.
- Comes with five brushing modes including daily clean, sensitive, gum care, whitening and deep clean.
- Two-minute timer ensures that you are brushing your teeth properly for two minutes to get consistent cleaning.
- Product Dimensions: 7.7 x 3.9 x 10 inches
- Item weight: 1.39 pounds
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Dash replenishment enabled
- Comes with pressure sensor lights
- It is expensive
8 – Oral-B Sensitive Gum Care Electric Toothbrush Replacement Brush Heads
Oral-B is known for making high-quality toothbrushes, this is another of their amazing creation, the toothbrush replacement brush heads. We have picked these brush heads manufactured by Oral-B because they are known for their amazing performance. It has extra soft bristles so if you feel that you have sensitivity then this toothbrush is a reliable option for you because it will prevent your teeth and your gums from harsh bristles.
Since it is a round brush head, you can brush your teeth one by one with this and you will be surprised with the amazing results that you will get with this toothbrush. We have added these brush heads to our list. So if you already have an Oral-B rechargeable handle, you can get your hands on these and have the softest bristles.
- The round brush head is great for sensitive gums as it allows you to brush your teeth one by one.
- These toothbrush heads are compatible with Oral-B rechargeable handles.
- Product Dimensions: 2.4 x 8.7 x 0.7 inches
- Item Weight: 1.1 ounces
- Soft bristles for sensitivity
- Superior clean while being gentle to the teeth
- Special engineered bristles which reach all the areas of the mouth to get rid of plaque
- You need to have a rechargeable Oral B handle for these to work
9 – Triple Bristle Best Sonic Electric Toothbrush
Do you intend to have cleaner teeth and a bright smile even with braces? If yes, then make sure to try this electric toothbrush. This toothbrush is also great because it has the ability to reduce levels of plaque and soreness. If your dental implants or braces, you will be surprised by the performance of this toothbrush. You will see a notable difference in the appearance of your teeth and you will also feel the freshness. This toothbrush is not only great at what it does but it is also amazing because you can easily hold it and it has a nice grip. We highly recommend this toothbrush to you if you are looking for a high-quality toothbrush for braces. One of the best tools that are available for brushing and flossing.
- The soft angled bristles allow the toothbrush to get rid of all the plaque and reach places that haven’t been reached.
- The three-sided brush head is very handy for people with braces because it cleans all-round the teeth and the brackets as well.
- Three-speed settings can be adjusted according to the need.
- The charging base is also helpful in charging the toothbrush without any hassle.
- Item Weight: 14.1 ounces
- Unique three-sided brush head which has not been seen before
- Easy to hold the handle
- Superior performance
- This electric toothbrush doesn’t have smart features
10 – Curaprox Swiss 1006 Special Toothbrush for Implants and Braces Assorted Colors
Last but not least, we have the Curaprox toothbrush especially for people who have implants or braces. Plaque is a huge problem for people who have braces. The food particles get stuck to the teeth and hence cause a buildup of plaque. Sensitivity and other problems in the mouth can be caused by plaque if it is not gotten rid of. Also, if you have teeth that are isolated or poorly positioned then you can surely have this toothbrush to solve your problems. We recommend this toothbrush greatly because it is specifically designed for people who have issues cleaning up plaque from braces or any other problems.
- Provides perfect plaque control on implants and braces
- Ensures plaque control on isolated or poorly located teeth
- Product Dimensions: 6mm long, 0.1mm diameter
- Specifically designed soft bristles
- Gets rid of plaque
- It doesn’t have many advanced features
Here comes an end to our top picked toothbrushes specifically for people who have braces. We hope that by looking at these descriptions of the toothbrushes, you will be able to get a clear idea of which toothbrush you want to opt for to maintain your dental hygiene.
To pick out the best toothbrush out of all the ones that we have picked out, you need to have a look at the buying considerations. These buying considerations will help you in making a better decision, so without any further ado. Let’s move on to the buying considerations.
As you are out in the market, you look at a variety of different products, some may be manufactured for the same purpose while others may be manufactured for a different purpose. So, depending upon the functioning, performance, features, and model, the price of the different products available in the market varies greatly. Similarly, if you intend to shop for the best toothbrush for braces, you will face the same issue. There are so many manufacturers and there are so many different creations of toothbrushes. Due to this, the prices of the toothbrushes vary greatly. You will notice a huge difference in a manual toothbrush and an electric toothbrush. The more advanced features, the more expensive the toothbrushes will be. So, before you start looking for a toothbrush, figure out a budget so that you can get the most suitable toothbrush.
A manual or electric toothbrush
The next thing that you have to consider whether you need a manual toothbrush or an electric toothbrush. You will have a clear understanding of this when you will be figuring out your budget. The electric toothbrushes are quite expensive as compared to the manual ones. So, once you know your budget, you will surely be able to decide between both.
Then come the features of the toothbrush. There are some toothbrushes that have smart features. They have pressure sensors with which can give you alerts about how much pressure you are applying. Also, they have a timely reminder, usually a two-minute reminder with which you can consistently clean your teeth for two minutes. However, manual toothbrushes may not have all these features. The manual brushes are quite simple, they may have a nice shape and come with soft bristles but they are unable to provide all the features that are available on electric toothbrushes. So, before you make your final decision, make sure to have a closer look at the features of the toothbrush that you like.
When you have seen the key features, then the next thing that you must look at is the ergonomics of the toothbrush. You must be able to easily hold it an operate it. Some people are not fond of vibration and may have trouble holding the electric toothbrush in there hands. So, they can switch to the manual toothbrushes because they do not have this problem of vibration or anything. Also, some of the toothbrushes are available in different sizes and cute colors. So, if you are tired of the same old toothbrush that you have then you opt for your favorite color.
Easy settings and operation
Most of the electric toothbrushes have different cleaning modes. Some may have only one mode while others may have up to six cleaning modes. That can help with the adjustability of the toothbrush according to your needs. Mostly, the toothbrushes are very easy to operate so make sure that you get the one which doesn’t make you have any issues.
The electric toothbrushes definitely need to be recharged while the manual toothbrushes are super convenient in this way because you don’t have to charge your toothbrush and you can just grab it whenever you need it. However, the electric toothbrush has to be charged to be able to work properly. Some electric toothbrushes may take a lot of time to get charged while others may require charging only for a few hours. If you consider the battery life of the electric toothbrush. Then you will come to the conclusion that most of the electric toothbrushes have a decent battery.
One of the most important things when it comes to toothbrushes is the bristles. The bristles should be soft and thin, the thicker and the harder the bristles will be the more they are likely to damage your gums. With poor quality bristles, the gums start bleeding and they even swell up. So, make sure that you pay close attention to the bristles when you intend to buy a toothbrush.
We hope that these buying considerations will be helpful for you in finding your best pick of the toothbrush for braces. The buying considerations become a better way of cost-benefit analysis. With the buying considerations, you will never be able to make a decision that you will regret.
Now, it’s time to address some of the key issues that the people might face, to address the problems or to answer the questions. We have come up with another list of the frequently asked questions. With this list, you will be sure about choosing your most favorite toothbrush for braces and dental hygiene.
Frequently Asked Questions on Toothbrush for Braces
Yes, you do require a special toothbrush for braces as a traditional toothbrush is unable to get rid of the food particles which have been stuck to the teeth. Especially if you have braces, it is likely that the braces will catch a lot of food particles. And then it will become difficult to deal with it. As the plaque will start building up, it will not be easy to get rid of it. Gum diseases, sensitivity, and other issues will be facing because of poor dental hygiene. So, all the people who have braces, they surely need a new toothbrush which is specifically designed to get rid of the plaque from the teeth and to also prevent your mouth from smelling bad. Whether you get your hands on a manual toothbrush for braces or on an electric toothbrush for braces. You will see a notable difference in the appearance of the teeth and you will also permanently say goodbye to bad breath.
A traditional or a typical toothbrush is suggested to be changed every 3 months by the doctors. However, in the case of people with braces, the whole scenario changes and this is because of the toothbrush, be it manual or electric, it comes in contact with the brackets of braces which is why it becomes difficult to change the toothbrush with braces. The braces may make the appearance of a toothbrush very torn and weird because toothbrush head is constantly in contact with the toothbrush. Whenever you feel that the bristles are becoming torn and worn out, you should try using a different toothbrush or a different toothbrush head. Also, the electric toothbrush, they even have indicators or alerts which tell you that the head of the toothbrush needs replacement.
Some people might believe that the electric toothbrushes are not good for teeth because they can be harsh and they can cause bleeding but this is not true. The electric toothbrushes are great for people with braces because they have softer bristles. They come from a different angle which is able to easily reach areas that are usually not easily reached with a traditional or a typical toothbrush. The electric toothbrushes usually have so many smart features that make them completely safe and gentle on the teeth. The pressure sensor, the two-minute reminder are some of the features which make the electric toothbrushes good for braces. The best thing is that the electric toothbrushes clean the plaque many times better than the manual brushes.
Brushing the bottom of the braces with the typical toothbrush is nearly impossible, due to its large head, the brush is unable to reach the bottom of the teeth and then remains not clean. The building up of plaque because of poor hygiene starts stinking and eventually your breath becomes really nasty. To make sure that you clean the bottom of the braces, you must get your hands on a toothbrush which has a smaller head. With the small head of the toothbrush, you will be able to reach the bottom of the teeth even with braces. Otherwise, reaching the areas which are hard to reach is quite difficult without the right tool. Make sure that you remain gentle and apply the appropriate pressure, applying maximum pressure can cause injuries in the mouth.
It is quite possible that you may end up with brushing your teeth too much. This is because when you have braces, you may constantly feel that the food is building up and plaque will take over mouth. So, to avoid embarrassments such as bleeding gums, or bad breath, some people start brushing their teeth a little too much. Then they end up hurting themselves due to the increased pressure that they apply while brushing teeth.
Usually, people think that the electric toothbrushes are too difficult to carry as they space and they may be difficult to put together or use. However, the electric toothbrushes mostly come with a travel case so you can utilize that case for traveling with the toothbrush. The best part of the electric toothbrushes is that they last for quite a while because they only require recharging and they can be charged for quite some hours and then the battery will last for long hours. Once you have the electric toothbrushes charged, they will be all set to put into the travel case and will be ready to transport.
The main focus of creating this article was to make sure that people with braces are able to find the best toothbrush. So they can ensure the cleanliness of the teeth and good dental health. If you need the best Waterpik for braces you will find it in another review.
If dental hygiene is not taken care of properly, people feel less confident as they start losing confidence due to yellow teeth. People may even feel more embarrassed because of the bad breath and people the plaque sticking on their teeth.
To make sure that people with braces are able to find the best of the toothbrushes so they can smile with confidence. We created a list consisting of ten products. The detailed descriptions along with technical details, pros and cons, and major features are provided so that an individual is able to do the cost-benefit analysis.
Once you have done the cost-benefit analysis, you will be able to invest your money into a toothbrush that will last you for quite a while and you will always smile confidently.
We hope that this article was helpful for you and we also hope that you will be able to pick out one of the best toothbrushes. Whether electric or manual to maintain good dental hygiene. let’s get brushing and never stop smiling!
If you liked the post, please leave a review on Trustpilot with the button below! It only takes 1 minute.
Dr Michael Jones is the proud founder of The Toothbrush Expert. He has been working as a dentist for 19 years now. Besides his work as a dentist, Michael wants to help people to find the right dental products. His goal is to provide everyone with honest expert reviews on all kinds of dental care products.